Friday, June 12, 2009

My First Week as a College Student

My first week at Summer Scholars was very interesting. I've never felt so independent. When I first looked at the map and my class schedule, I was overwhelmed and became very nervous. I didn't think I would be able to figure out where to park and how to get to my classes on my own. I soon became fond of this challenge. After a couple of days, I got really comfortable and I really started to feel like a college student.
The class i am enrolled in is American History since 1865. The information is somewhat fresh in my mind being that I just took that class this year in high school. I am also pretty used to the lecture type classes because we have Large Groups at Westside. My professor is very nice and his voice is very dynamic. I think the most challenging part of this class is keeping up on the reading. Those assignments can get quite lengthy. Even though I like my history class, I must say that my favorite class is College 101. As time goes by, I realize how important this class is. The information about scholarships and college applications are all things I am going to be putting to use in the next few months. It's comforting to know that all of the multicultural affairs staff have our best interest at heart and that they will always be available for any questions we may have not just about UNO, but about college in general.
Throughout the first week, I've learned to give myself a little more credit when it comes to my independence. I've also learned that I am a little more prepared for the application process than I thought. My first week wasn't perfect, but it was defintely fun. I enjoyed meeting all of the other Summer Scholars. I am looking forward to getting to know them better. I am also looking forward to completing my service learning project with Marcela and Alex. Our student seems very interesting. I hope both her and I will benefit from the activities we do together.
Signed,
Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment